"Green Acres" meets "Weeds" as a hip, upper-middle-class professional family with two straight-edge, technology-loving teens embarks on a life-changing and controversial adventure and leaves their swanky Florida lifestyle behind to grow pot on a medical marijuana farm in the fertile Woods of Maine.

It gets crazier when the couple's rebellious weed-loving daughter, her sarcastic blunt-rolling fiance and their 1 year old baby tag along.

The family that farms together, stays together? Maybe not.

But, in a complex family with diverse personalities, love, laughter and an abiding family bond can
mend a lot of broken fences.


September 09, 2011

Howdy, Neighbor ?

Of great concern to me lately is how our new Maine neighbors are going to respond to the arrival of marijuana farmers in the 'hood.

We're a very social and outgoing family, and have always been well-received and well-liked by our neighbors wherever we've lived.  That was when we were seen as fine, upstanding citizens of the community, though.  I'm afraid of the negative perceptions and rampant stigma associated with marijuana use is going to negatively impact Ron and the kids.

I don't necessarily include myself in my worries, because I've always been a "live and let live" kinda gal, and really invest in the the "live" side of that coin -- I've never really worried about what others think, because the mirror-test is my bottom line; if I can look at a true and honest reflection in the mirror, then I'm OK.

Mostly, I worry that the kids will feel repercussions from uptight, close-minded types who want to label everyone else to make themselves feel superior.  The kids aren't so sure about this gig, as it is.

Ron and I want to legitimize the medicinal use of marijuana and fully intend to continue on as law-abiding, upstanding, respectable citizens -- which will serve to disprove the stereotypes and demonization of marijuana users.

It's an all-out grassroots effort.  I guess we'll start with the neighbors.

A poll is posted on the PotPhaRm blog that asks the question:  What would you do if pot farmers moved into your neighborhood?   I'm very interested (and invested) in the answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment